Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Once Again | Why I Never Watch Corporate News

Jeff Cohen's excellent article sums up the corporate news very well. Fortunately(for my sanity) I'd quit them years before. Sometime around the Bill Clinton impeachment debacle and when the internet started becoming a viable news option. The Internet has been and continues to be a life saver for me. The only escape from the alternate universe of the corporate infotainment business.
It's not getting any better. Dumbya appears as a guest on a game show, Laura "The Lump" hosts the Today Show with obsequent regulars. I only see these little items while reading through internet news sites. The day they stop the free flow of information on the Net is the final nail in the coffin of freedom. Here's Jeff Cohen on the run-up to dubya and our media's bloody Iraq folly:

Military Propaganda Pushed Me off TV

By Jeff Cohen

In the fall of 2002, week after week in debates televised on MSNBC, I argued vigorously against invading Iraq. I used every possible argument that might sway mainstream viewers - no real threat, cost, instability. But as the war neared, my debates were terminated.

In my 2006 book ""Cable News Confidential," I explained why I lost my airtime:

There was no room for me after MSNBC launched "Countdown: Iraq" - a daily one-hour show that seemed more keen on glamorizing a potential war than scrutinizing or debating it. "Countdown: Iraq" featured retired colonels and generals, sometimes resembling boys with war toys as they used props, maps and glitzy graphics to spin invasion scenarios. They reminded me of pumped-up ex-football players doing pre-game analysis and diagramming plays. It was excruciating to be sidelined at MSNBC, watching so many non-debates in which myth and misinformation were served up unchallenged.
Continue.

-

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

asp hit counter
hit counters