Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Logged On And Hurtin' | Postherpetic Neuralgia

Before I scatter a few posts on the old OOTM's I want to throw up a bit of a painful tirade about what my shingles has apparently evolved into. My doctor told me in the beginning that after shingles return to dormancy in the nerve cells that a lot of people experience a painful and dehabilitating aftermath which I have now apparently acquired. It's called "Post-herpetic neuralgia(s?)".

There's severe numbness in my right hand and up my arm all the time especially in the hand, the finger tips feel like they're being squeezed in a vice most of the time, painful itching, stiffness and painful cramping in the knuckles of the hand, burning sensations on the arm almost like a sunburn, the skin on the arm and the hand are super-sensitive to touch-something as simple as a piece of cardboard scraped across the skin brings sharp pain and burning. To top it off there's still pain and aches inside the arm and shoulder.

I've nearly become the one-armed man. At work and at home I've been reduced to using my left hand(I'm right-handed). The agony of the shingles is gone, but alms to the FSM when this pain and grief has finally left me!

I have an appointment on the 28th for a "nerve test" and then a meeting on the 29th with a neurologist to discuss the findings.

I've read(and been told) that some people never get rid of this, that it lingers to the end of their days(NIGHTMARE!)

A big reason the posting has been slow..
Moving on...

-

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

asp hit counter
hit counters