Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day


photo:

Whitman says it well:
.."O strong dead-march you please me!

O moon immense with your silvery face you soothe me!

O my soldiers twain! O my veterans passing to burial!

What I have I also give you.


The moon gives you light,

And the bugles and the drums give you music,

And my heart, O my soldiers, my veterans,

My heart gives you love."

--Walt Whitman, from The Last Sunbeam


And Mine

Memorial Day

I brought a rose here today
to lay upon your quiet grave
in this place where memories play
for last goodbyes
for mornings in May
with heart so troubled
words can't say
the soul seems lost
along the way

I don't fear a past so sad
nor future yet to be
in my mind a wind blows mad
I fear eternity

I hope you walk
on streets of gold
within a land of peace
but my heart needs to know so bad
so answer want you please
is there balm in Gilead
and solace where you sleep

--Rdean, 85

No comparison, I know. I'm certainly no Whitman
and will never be a Tennyson but words are words.
Happy Memorial Day. Place/or plant a flower
in memory

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

asp hit counter
hit counters