Friday, December 12, 2008

Late in the Evening - Why Not Some Emily Dickinson?

Emily Dickinson would be in my top 20 list of people from history I'd like to meet and have a long conversation with. Unfortunately Emily doesn't strike me as a people person. Here is her poem on falling into madness, "I felt a Funeral, in my Brain":


I felt a Funeral, in my Brain,
And Mourners to and fro
Kept treading - treading - till it seemed
That Sense was breaking through -

And when they all were seated,
A Service, like a Drum -
Kept beating - beating - till I thought
My mind was going numb -

And then I heard them lift a Box
And creak across my Soul
With those same Boots of Lead, again,
Then Space - began to toll,

As all the Heavens were a Bell,
And Being, but an Ear,
And I, and Silence, some strange Race
Wrecked, solitary, here –

And then a Plank in Reason, broke,
And I dropped down, and down –
And hit a World, at every plunge,
And Finished knowing – then –
-Emily Dickinson, Manuscript: About summer 1862
-

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

asp hit counter
hit counters