Saturday, September 06, 2008

The 3D Dog Is Gone | In Memory Of Daisy Duke Dean

I haven't been keeping up with the John and Sarah "of the Tundra" adventure the last few days. We had to have our sweet old dog Daisy put to sleep last Thursday.
They'd given her two months till lung cancer and other age-related problems would take her from us and she almost made it to that. She could hardly stand and had been having trouble walking and breathing by then.
Even with all that I would've still resisted but she'd gotten to where she couldn't stand very well. I had to carry her outside(she was 65pds.) and up and down the stairs the last few days. She managed to walk a little bit at the vet's and so it haunts me that maybe(just maybe) she'd have gotten better and we could've had her with us a while longer.
I'd made her an appointment with them for Saturday the 6th but with the trouble standing and walking I took off work and called their office to get her in Thursday morning. I carried her down to the car and we took her to them to get their opinion. Already knowing and dreading what it was going to be.
Daisy was given a shot which ended her life at 11:00A.M, Thursday the 4th, 2008... It nearly overwhelmed me when they gave her that shot. One moment she was looking around like she was thinking, "what's this crowd doing in here, what's going on?", and within seconds, as they were giving her the shot she just put her head down and was gone. I've been grieving since.
This should help a little bit I hope. Putting something up in her memory and writing something down.
I don't have a lot of digital pics of Daisy, we have a ton of older paper pics but not many on the computer. I'll have to look for a good one.
Aah, here's a decent one:


"If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few persons.
-James Thurber

Daisy was a 14 year old mixed breed with a love for food and walks. She hadn't been able to go for the walks in quite a while but she still loved the food. She came into our lives as a drop-off someone left next door to our house in 1994. With tearful pleas from our daughter Mechelle, Daisy became "our" dog. And since that day she's been nearly my constant buddy and companion.
Where we lived in those days was a great walking neighborhood. Daisy and I walked for miles some evenings. After dark, in rain, in snow and everything in between. Most always Just she and I.
Daisy was my big galoot and I miss her terribly. My heart is broken once again...Daisy's gone..
Sometimes I hate this world you're brought into it and if you survive it, it's to see everyone you love die. Aunts, uncles, cousins, friends and parents. Daisy was different, a different kind of grief, and hurts just as bad or worse. Someone should do a grief pain index kind of like the "Schmidt Pain Index".
I'm an agnostic so I don't really believe in religion or gods. But IF there's a hereafter, guess who'll be leading my gang romping through those fields of gold to meet me?
Bye Daisy save a walk for me girl...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
-Will Rogers

-

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

asp hit counter
hit counters