Monday, January 15, 2007

Iraq: Death In A Garbage Dump

From Gorillas Guide via The Agonist

--
The Wages of Sin
Welcome to the New Iraqi Economy a vision of horror, prostitution and all of those other moral and mainstream behaviors that the invasion was supposed to establish. Gorillas Guides scores two must read posts in a week.
...














From:
Death In A Garbage Dump


"...I find it impossible to describe what goes through my mind and through my heart when I see a child pick up a piece of rotted food in a garbage dump and eat it. I simply have no words for how I feel when I see that.

On my son Dubhaltach’s last trip to Iraq he was approached no less than 5 times by young parents asking him to take their children. Not even selling the poor kids. They’d been driven beyond and below even that level of desperation. No, all they wanted for him to just ”please take them so that they can eat.” I find it impossible to describe how Erdla and myself felt as Dubhaltach broke down helplessly describing how he wished he could have done what they wanted. As he tried to tell us how he felt when he was approached by a recently widowed young woman offfering him her eight year old daughter and seven year old son:

“They are good children. Very beautiful.

Pause:

“They are good children. Very obedient.

Pause:

“Take them, feed them, they are very obedient. They will do anything you want…”

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

asp hit counter
hit counters